Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Bean, Barley & Mushroom Soup

Ingredients:
20 oz. package of dried beans (I used Hambeens 15 Bean Soup mix, minus the flavor packet)- rinsed, sorted and soaked overnight
1/2 cup  Pearl Barley
2 stalks Celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3/4-1 onion, chopped
1 pkg. sliced mushrooms
2 oz. fresh spinach 
2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
2 tsp. Minced Garlic
1 tsp. salt

Directions:

Place all ingredients EXCEPT SPINACH in the Slow Cooker, stir and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours.  I turned my slow cooker on around 8pm and when I checked it at 8am this morning, it was a nice, thick and hearty consistency.  So, base your cooking time on your preferred consistency.

5 minutes before you're ready to eat, add the spinach and stir.

*For a variation on this recipe I would suggest adding some sausage.   I was making my daughter some Honeysuckle White turkey breakfast sausage and I think that would compliment this soup really well, but I can't have black pepper, which I am sure is included in the "spices" so I didn't add it.

This recipe is adapted from A Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Adventures Four Bean and Barley Soup, this is one of my favorite sites for recipe inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment